Re: /proc/stat btime accuracy problem

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Wed Jun 01 2011 - 20:32:32 EST

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:58 PM, john stultz <johnstul@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 17:35 -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

>> > Huh. So this sort of issue was common back when we had tick-based
>> > timekeeping (in combination with troubled hardware), but with the
>> > current clocksource based timekeeping, occasional lost ticks shouldn't
>> > really effect time.
>>
>> Makes sense.  Your presentation here was a great help:
>>   http://sr71.net/~jstultz/tod/ols-presentation-final.pdf
>>
>> > Can you explain a bit more about what kind of hardware this is happening
>> > on, and what clocksource is being used?
>>
>> Sure.  This is an x86 box.  Normally we're using the TSC clocksource,
>> and I don't think the issue happens after that.  I guess my
>> experimentation so far has been with uninterruptible time before we
>> register *any* clocksource (or at least before I see any "Switching to
>> clocksource" messages).
>
> Huh.
>
> So yea, if we are very early at boot, we're likely using the jiffies
> clocksource, which is basically a software-based tick counter, which
> would be prone to lost-ticks issues if irqs were disabled for too long.
>
> Do you know if this is this a relatively new issue?
>
> My first instinct is "don't do that!" to whatever driver is disabling
> irqs for so long. Do you know what's actually causing these long irq off
> periods?
>
> I assume you're noticing this offset by seeing that CLOCK_REALTIME is
> off from the RTC right after boot? How severe is this? The RTC read is
> only second granular, so there's a fair amount of error (~1 second)
> possible right at boot, so this then must be many seconds worth of lost
> ticks to be noticeable, right?

I'm using 2.6.34, so not really new. I think the major offender is
kernel serial printk, which is done in polled mode. A *lot* of it,
e.g., 30+ seconds' worth. I wonder if there's some reasonably clean
way to resync with the RTC, say at the time we register a clocksource
better than jiffies, or in clocksource_done_booting(), or something.

Bjorn