Re: Heads-up: Linux make menuconfig .config vs. XDG_CONFIG_HOME ~/.config/clash - perhaps resolve it while 3.0 appears?

From: Michal Marek
Date: Fri Jun 03 2011 - 04:26:46 EST

On 2.6.2011 20:24, Andreas Mohr wrote:
I just discovered a Linux kernel make menuconfig .config file
accidentally situated in the home directory of a shell account
> [...]
"$XDG_CONFIG_HOME defines the base directory relative to which user
specific configuration files should be stored. If $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is
either not set or empty, a default equal to $HOME/.config should be
used."

PEBKAC :-). BTW, did you really run into such problem yourself, or is it more a "what if"?

It may thus be strongly advisable to rename the default name of the
make menuconfig kernel .config file (perhaps .config_lx / .config_linux ?)
to completely sidestep such a (mostly user-triggered)
problematic clash in future.

No. The name ".config" is documented in the linux source as well as so many howtos and books, that we should not change it just for the fun of it. Arguably, a non-dot filename might have been a better choice, but ".config" has been chosen, so we have to live with it.

And (I cannot help but think of this) now that lx 3.0 is in -rc
this might still be an especially appropriate moment to do it ;)

Linus made it clear that 3.0 is just a change in versioning, not an excuse for doing incompatible changes. (Incompatible changes can possibly happen in any release, but they need to be justified and need to be ready *before* -rc1.)

Michal