Re: unlink(nonexistent): EROFS or ENOENT?

From: Ted Ts'o
Date: Sun Jun 05 2011 - 23:40:00 EST

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 08:08:55PM +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Just noticed that at least on ext4, unlinking a
> non-existing file from a read-only filesystem
> results in EROFS instead of ENOENT. I'd expect
> it return ENOENT - it is more logical, at least
> in my opinion.
>
> For one, (readonly) NFS mount returns ENOENT in
> this case.

Um, it doesn't for me. Testing on v3.0-rc1:

# ls /test/foo; rm /test/foo
ls: cannot access /test/foo: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `/test/foo': No such file or directory
# ls /test/null; rm /test/null
/test/null
rm: cannot remove `/test/null': Read-only file system
# grep test /proc/mounts
/dev/vdb /test ext4 ro,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

- Ted