Re: [debug patch] printk: Add a printk killswitch to robustify NMIwatchdog messages

From: Arne Jansen
Date: Mon Jun 06 2011 - 12:45:36 EST

On 06.06.2011 18:38, Arne Jansen wrote:
On 06.06.2011 18:17, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Peter Zijlstra<peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 17:52 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Peter Zijlstra<peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Needs more staring at, preferably by someone who actually
understands that horrid mess :/ Also, this all still doesn't make
printk() work reliably while holding rq->lock.

So, what about my suggestion to just *remove* the wakeup from there
and use the deferred wakeup mechanism that klogd uses.

That would make printk() *visibly* more robust in practice.

That's currently done from the jiffy tick, do you want to effectively
delay releasing the console_sem for the better part of a jiffy?

Yes, and we already do it in some other circumstances.

We do?

Yes, see the whole printk_pending logic, it delays:

wake_up_interruptible(&log_wait);

to the next jiffies tick.

Can you see
any problem with that? klogd is an utter slowpath anyway.

but console_sem isn't klogd. We delay klogd and that's perfectly
fine, but afaict we don't delay console_sem.

But console_sem is really a similar special case as klogd. See, it's
about a *printk*. That's rare by definition.

If someone on the console sees it he'll be startled by at least 10
msecs ;-) So delaying the wakeup to the next jiffy really fits into
the same approach as we already do with&log_wait, hm?

As long as it doesn't scramble the order of the messages, the delay
imho doesn't matter even in very printk-heavy debugging sessions.

And, as important, doesn't reduce the throughput of printk. Having only
100 wakeups/s sounds like the throughput is limited to 100xsizeof(ring buffer).

This would solve a real nightmare that has plagued us ever since
printk() has done wakeups directly - i.e. like forever.

Thanks,

Ingo