Re: [debug patch] printk: Add a printk killswitch to robustify NMIwatchdog messages

From: Arne Jansen
Date: Mon Jun 06 2011 - 14:14:37 EST

On 06.06.2011 20:07, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Arne Jansen<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 06.06.2011 19:11, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Peter Zijlstra<peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

+void printk_tick(void)
+{
+ if (!__this_cpu_read(printk_pending))
+ return;
+
+ /*
+ * Try to acquire and then immediately release the
+ * console semaphore. The release will do all the
+ * actual magic (print out buffers, wake up klogd,
+ * etc).
+ */
+ if (console_trylock_for_printk(smp_processor_id())) {
+ console_unlock();
+ __this_cpu_write(printk_pending, 0);
+ }
+}

Arne does this fix the hang you are seeing?

What do you want me to test? just replace printk_tick with the
above version? If I do that, the machine doesn't even boot up any
more.

Yeah.

So i think we want two patches:

- The first one that minimally removes the lockdep_off()/on() dance
and fixes the regression: the patch that i sent earlier today.
I *think* that should fix the crash.

Isn't the regression just the false lockdep_assert_held(&p->pi_lock)?
The patch Peter sent earlier seems like the minimal changeset to fix
that, plus it fixes a bug that might pop up somewhere else, too.

3.0 material.

- The second one that moves console_sem wakeups to the jiffies tick.
It does not push the acquiring and the console->write() calls to
jiffies context, only delays the wakeup.

3.1 material.

Thanks,

Ingo