Re: option driver, ZTE MF_330 matches linux usb 2.0 root hub

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Wed Jun 08 2011 - 09:32:44 EST

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Michael Tokarev wrote:

> > Bus 003 Device 002: ID 19d2:0001 ONDA Communication S.p.A.
> > Device Descriptor:
> > bLength 18
> > bDescriptorType 1
> > bcdUSB 1.10
> > bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
> > bDeviceSubClass 0
> > bDeviceProtocol 0
> > bMaxPacketSize0 64
> > idVendor 0x19d2 ONDA Communication S.p.A.
> > idProduct 0x0001
> > bcdDevice 0.00
> > iManufacturer 1 Qualcomm, Incorporated
> > iProduct 2 ZTE CDMA Technologies MSM
> > iSerial 0
> > bNumConfigurations 1
> > Configuration Descriptor:
> > bLength 9
> > bDescriptorType 2
> > wTotalLength 85
> > bNumInterfaces 3
> > bConfigurationValue 1
> > iConfiguration 0
> > bmAttributes 0xa0
> > (Bus Powered)
> > Remote Wakeup
> > MaxPower 500mA
> > Interface Descriptor:
> > bLength 9
> > bDescriptorType 4
> > bInterfaceNumber 0
> > bAlternateSetting 0
> > bNumEndpoints 3
> > bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
> > bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
> > bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
> > iInterface 3 Data Interface
>
> So, as far as I can see, this is covered by
>
> #define ZTE_VENDOR_ID 0x19d2
> #define ZTE_PRODUCT_MF622 0x0001
>
> { USB_DEVICE_AND_INTERFACE_INFO(ZTE_VENDOR_ID, ZTE_PRODUCT_MF622, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff) }, /* ZTE WCDMA products */
>
> and it should Just Work aftere reverting a559d2c8c1bf652ea2d0ecd6ab4a250fcdb37db8
> "USB: option: add ID for ZTE MF 330". But I'm not sure this really
> is MF330, since the device ID says it's MF622.
>
> Are we talking about the same device?
>
> Besides, why in linux it's identified as ZTE, while
> lsusb lists it as "ONDA Comm." ?

ONDA and ZTE are usually the very same chip.

Also please note that USB ID of these devices usually changes after
'usb_modeswtich' triggers in userspace (and many distros ship udev rule
for this as a default nowadays), which might contribute to the overall
confusion a little bit more.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs