Re: 2.6.39.1 immediately reboots/resets on EFI system

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Wed Jun 08 2011 - 17:42:37 EST

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 02:31:55PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Boot services data includes everything that was allocated by the EFI
> > memory allocator. Depending on what the system decided to do before
> > deigning to run our code, that might be a meg - or it might be several
> > hundred. And in the process it's probably fragmented RAM into god knows
> > how many small chunks.
>
> In reality?
>
> Whatever. I really think our EFI support is just fundamnetally broken.
> We should do *everything* in the bootloader, and nothing at all in the
> kernel. IOW, I think doing the whole "SetVirtualAddrMap()" (or
> whatever) in the boot loader too, and just promise to neve rever call
> any EFI routines from the kernel.

Windows and MacOS both do all the EFI setup in their bootloader, and it
obviously makes a lot of things much easier. But unfortunately even in
that case we still need to make EFI calls from runtime, because there's
no other way to tell the firmware where we put the bootloader...

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx