Re: 2.6.39.1 immediately reboots/resets on EFI system

From: Maarten Lankhorst
Date: Wed Jun 08 2011 - 19:54:50 EST

Hey,

Op 09-06-11 00:57, Linus Torvalds schreef:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 2:51 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> However, I suspect that what we *should* do is carry an kernel EFI stub
>> to go along with the BIOS stub... otherwise we're forever at mercy of
>> getting all the boot loader authors to change in lockstep, and there are
>> specific ones which are notoriously hard to work with.
> Yes, that would probably be a good approach. We obviously have some
> low-level asm code for the BIOS case that is technically linked into
> the kernel, but is running before the kernel boots and not really
> "part" of the kernel. Doing something similar for EFI support sounds
> entirely sane to me.
I agree that's a long term solution, meanwhile can we just hope
that not too much boot memory is reserved and not free
that memory so it at least boots for more people?

Maybe add a printk of 'X amount of boot memory will not freed',
so at least people can quantify and judge for themselves whether
it's worth disabling kernel efi support or not.

~Maarten