Re: [PROBLEM] reproduceable storage errors on high IO load

From: Lars TÃuber
Date: Thu Jun 09 2011 - 03:56:35 EST

Hi Henrique,

thanks for your reply.

Am Wed, 8 Jun 2011 18:39:05 -0300
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> schrieb:

> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011, Lars TÃuber wrote:
> > Am I the only one using SW-RAID6 and having this problem?
>
> Well, ask Arecca if these disks have problems with their RAID
> controllers, and whether they can help you get hold of firmware updates
> for the WD disks.
>
> The WD RE4-GP 2TB might not be the only WD RE4 disk with quirky
> firmware.
>
> http://blog.fastmail.fm/2009/11/06/western-digital-re4-gp-2tb-drive-problems-and-solutions/
> http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle15592.aspx?Keywords=Re4+firmware

According to this thread:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/Other-Internal-Drives/WD2002FYPS-firmware/td-p/63330
the WD2002FYPS-02W3B0 models seem to be really bad for RAID systems.

The former models with the most recent firmware seem to work somehow:
Model: WD2002FYPS-01U1B1
FW: 04.05G05

Seems I have to exchange the drives to get a working array.

I got an reply from Western Digital that all my disks have the most recent
firmware available.

I wonder why I had the very same problem with Seagate Barracuda ES 320GB
drives!

Thanks again and sunny greatings to brazil.
Lars