Re: [RFC] dmaengine: add new api for preparing simple slavetransfer

From: Russell King - ARM Linux
Date: Thu Jun 09 2011 - 12:33:34 EST

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 09:31:56PM +0530, Raju, Sundaram wrote:
> Here it is, with proper line wrapping;

Thanks. This is much easier to reply to.

> I believe that even though the dmaengine framework addresses and
> supports most of the required use cases of a client driver to a DMA
> controller, some extensions are required in it to make it still more
> generic.
>
> Current framework contains two APIs to prepare for slave transfers:
>
> struct dma_async_tx_descriptor *(*device_prep_slave_sg)(
> struct dma_chan *chan, struct scatterlist *sgl,
> unsigned int sg_len, enum dma_data_direction direction,
> unsigned long flags);
>
> struct dma_async_tx_descriptor *(*device_prep_dma_cyclic)(
> struct dma_chan *chan, dma_addr_t buf_addr, size_t buf_len,
> size_t period_len, enum dma_data_direction direction);
>
> and one control API.
> int (*device_control)(struct dma_chan *chan, enum dma_ctrl_cmd cmd,
> unsigned long arg);
>
> A simple single buffer transfer (i.e. non sg transfer) can be done only
> as a trivial case of the device_prep_slave_sg API. The client driver is
> expected to prepare a sg list and provide to the dmaengine API for that
> single buffer also.

We can avoid preparing a sg list in every driver which wants this by
having dmaengine.h provide a helper for this case:

static inline dma_async_tx_descriptor *dmaengine_prep_slave_single(
struct dma_chan *chan, void *buf, size_t len,
enum dma_data_direction dir, unsigned long flags)
{
struct scatterlist sg;

sg_init_one(&sg, buf, len);

return chan->device->device_prep_slave_sg(chan, &sg, 1, dir, flags);
}

I think also providing dmaengine_prep_slave_sg() and
dmaengine_prep_dma_cyclic() as wrappers to hide the chan->device->blah
bit would also be beneficial (and helps keep that detail out of the
users of DMA engine.)

> In a slave transfer, the client has to define all the buffer related
> attributes and the peripheral related attributes.

I'd argue that it is incorrect to have drivers specify the buffer
related attributes - that makes the API unnecessarily complicated
to use, requiring two calls (one to configure the channel, and one
to prepare the transfer) each time it needs to be used.

Not only that but the memory side of the transfer should be no business
of the driver - the driver itself should only specify the attributes
for the device being driven. The attributes for the memory side of the
transfer should be a property of the DMA engine itself.

I would like to see in the long term the dma_slave_config structure
lose its 'direction' argument, and the rest of the parameters used to
define the device side parameters only.

This will allow the channel to be configured once when its requested,
and then the prepare call can configure the direction as required.

> Now coming to the buffer related attributes, sg list is a nice way to
> represent a disjoint buffer; all the offload engines in drivers/dma
> create a descriptor for each of the contiguous chunk in the sg list
> buffer and pass it to the controller.

The sg list is the standard Linux way to describe scattered buffers.

> But many a times a client may want to transfer from a single buffer to
> the peripheral and most of the DMA controllers have the capability to
> transfer data in chunks/frames directly at a stretch.

So far, I've only seen DMA controllers which operate on a linked list of
source, destination, length, attributes, and next entry pointer.

> All the attributes of a buffer, which are required for the transfer
> can be programmed in single descriptor and submitted to the
> DMA controller.

I'm not sure that this is useful - in order to make use of the data, the
data would have to be copied in between the descriptors - and doesn't that
rather negate the point of DMA if you have to memcpy() the data around?

Isn't it far more efficient to have DMA place the data exactly where it's
required in memory right from the start without any memcpy() operations?

Can you explain where and how you would use something like this:

> | Chunk 0 |ICG| Chunk 1 |ICG| ... |ICG| Chunk n | Frame 0
> | Inter Frame Gap |
> | Chunk 0 |ICG| Chunk 1 |ICG| ... |ICG| Chunk n | Frame 1
> | Inter Frame Gap |
> | ........ |
> | Inter Frame Gap |
> | Chunk 0 |ICG| Chunk 1 |ICG| ... |ICG| Chunk n | Frame m

Can you also explain what a chunk contains, what a frame contains,
how they're different and how they're processed? Where does the
data to be transferred to the device live?

Also, bear in mind that in Linux, we try hard to avoid allocating
buffers larger than one page at a time - as soon as we get to multiple
contiguous page buffers, allocations can start failing because of
memory fragmentation. This is why we much prefer scatterlists over
single contiguous buffers for DMA.