Re: [patch 2/8] mm: memcg-aware global reclaim

From: Johannes Weiner
Date: Thu Jun 09 2011 - 20:45:58 EST

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 08:47:55AM +0900, Minchan Kim wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Minchan Kim <minchan.kim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> [cut diff]

> >> I may be missing something, but you said yourself that B had a smaller
> >> scan count compared to A, so the aging speed should be proportional to
> >> respective size.
> >>
> >> The number of pages scanned per iteration is essentially
> >>
> >>        number of lru pages in memcg-zone >> priority
> >>
> >> so we scan relatively more pages from B than from A each round.
> >>
> >> It's the exact same logic we have been applying traditionally to
> >> distribute pressure fairly among zones to equalize their aging speed.
> >>
> >> Is that what you meant or are we talking past each other?
> >
> > True if we can reclaim pages easily(ie, default priority) in all memcgs.
> > But let's think about it.
> > Normally direct reclaim path reclaims only SWAP_CLUSTER_MAX size.
> > If we have small memcg, scan window size would be smaller and it is
> > likely to be hard reclaim in the priority compared to bigger memcg. It
> > means it can raise priority easily in small memcg and even it might
> > call lumpy or compaction in case of global memory pressure. It can
> > churn all LRU order. :(
> > Of course, we have bailout routine so we might make such unfair aging
> > effect small but it's not same with old behavior(ie, single LRU list,
> > fair aging POV global according to priority raise)
>
> To make fair, how about considering turn over different memcg before
> raise up priority?
> It can make aging speed fairly while it can make high contention of
> lru_lock. :(

Actually, the way you describe it is how it used to work for limit
reclaim before my patches. It would select one memcg, then reclaim
with increasing priority until SWAP_CLUSTER_MAX were reclaimed.

memcg = select_victim()
for each prio:
for each zone:
shrink_zone(prio, zone, sc = { .mem_cgroup = memcg })

What it's supposed to do with my patches is scan all memcgs in the
hierarchy at the same priority. If it hasn't made progress, it will
increase the priority and iterate again over the hierarchy.

for each prio:
for each zone:
for each memcg:
do_shrink_zone(prio, zone, sc = { .mem_cgroup = memcg })