Re: 2.6.39: crash w/threadirqs option enabled

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Fri Jun 10 2011 - 04:17:40 EST

On Fri, 20 May 2011, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

On Fri, 20 May 2011, Justin Piszcz wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2011, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

On Fri, 20 May 2011, Justin Piszcz wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2011, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
Does it crash right away or just when doing something particular?
It crashed at 2100, this is when I run a few I/O intensive processes:
- backup (dump ext4 filesystem -> to a separate raid device)
- backup (dump ext4 on remote host -> to separate raid device)
- backup (dump xfs on remote host -> to separate raid device)

This looks like it is what caused it to crash.

That narrows it down somewhat, but does not give us a clue at all :(

Is the box fully dead after the crash ?
The host was online and I went away for awhile, when I came back the
system
had rebooted on its own (as I lost all of my X windows/etc).

Hmm. Did you have panic_timeout set ?

Hi,

No, I do not use panic_timeout or any type of watchdog that would reboot
the system upon a lockup/crash.

Yuck, that means it ran into a triple fault. Nasty. I have no idea how
to debug that at the moment and I was not able to reproduce on one of
my test systems. Maybe I need to try harder.

Thanks,

tglx

Hi,

Crashed again and it rebooted too:

reboot system boot 2.6.39 Thu Jun 9 23:58 - 04:05 (04:06) user1 pts/0 X Thu Jun 9 19:25 - 19:30 (00:04)
user1 pts/10 X Thu Jun 9 18:23 - crash (05:35)

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
Should I go back to 2.6.38?

Justin.