Powersave doesn't work for snd_hda_intel with 3.0.0-rc2

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Fri Jun 10 2011 - 04:40:11 EST

[changed subject]

As a summary:
I am loosing sound after powe_save timeout expires if there is no device
activity. The only way how to get sound back is to unload the module and
load it again.

On Fri 10-06-11 10:17:09, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:56:40 +0200,
> Michal Hocko wrote:
> > >
> > > Note that the one-minute thing happens only when you unplug AC cable,
> > > supposedly.
> >
> > Hmmm, I was plugged during testing all the time. OK, this looks like a
> > separate issue. I will repost it as a separate thread once we are done
> > with this. Any idea who to CC?
>
> First off, check /sys/modules/snd_hda_intel/parameters/powersave
> value. If this is set to non-zero, someone must have played with it,
> e.g. pm-utils or such.

Yes, it contains 60. And the value comes from:
CONFIG_SND_HDA_POWER_SAVE_DEFAULT=60

which defaults to 0 so it must have been changed by me some time ago
(really do not remember when and why, though). Anyway I have the same
value in 2.6.39 kernel as well and I do not see any problem there.
So it looks like a regression.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs