Re: Linux 3.0-rc3

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Wed Jun 15 2011 - 15:29:17 EST

On 06/15/2011 03:15 AM, Olivier Galibert wrote:
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:59:41AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 5:15 AM, Denys Vlasenko
<vda.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've got a patch for my project to fix parsing of kernel version which
has only two numbers. Basically,

- scanf(ver, "%u.%u.%u",&a,&b,&c)
+ sscanf(ver, "%u.%u",&a,&b)

Please just fix it.

The projects that care about kernel version are buggy in so many ways
that it's not funny.

His problem is recognizing "kernel version" vs. "filename" as a
parameter.
depmod [ -e ] [ -FSystem.map ] [ -n ] [ -v ] [ version ] [ filename... ]

Oh course, that's a stupid interface, but probably a hard one to
change.

Well, the man page says that the version parameter is used to find /lib/modules/version. So why not check if /lib/modules/version exists and, if not, try the filename?

/me is still annoyed that some expensive commercial software over here won't start if you have funny characters like '+' in your kernel version.

--Andy