Re: REGRESSION: Performance regressions from switching anon_vma->lockto mutex

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Jun 15 2011 - 16:57:34 EST

7.44% exim [kernel.kallsyms] [k] format_decode

--- format_decod

This is a glibc issue. exim calls libdb and libdb asks sysconf for the number of CPUs to tune
its locking, and glibc reads /proc/stat. And /proc/stat is incredible slow.

I would blame glibc, but in this case it's really the kernel to blame for not providing proper
interface.

This was my motivation for the sysconf() syscall I submitted some time ago.
https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/13/455

Anyways a quick workaround is to use this LD_PRELOAD: http://halobates.de/smallsrc/sysconf.c
But it's not 100% equivalent.

-Andi