Re: DVB_NET help message is useless

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
Date: Thu Jun 16 2011 - 06:38:44 EST

Em 16-06-2011 04:06, Jiri Slaby escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> I've just updated to 3.0-rc and saw CONFIG_DVB_NET. Hmm, let's see
> what's that by asking with '?'. And I got this crap:
> ================
> CONFIG_DVB_NET:
>
> The DVB network support in the DVB core can
> optionally be disabled if this
> option is set to N.
>
> If unsure say Y.
> ================
> Why do you think this help message is useful? It's clear to
> everybody that if one eventually disables it it will be disabled. The
> help message should mention _what_ the network support is.
>
> I would send a patch, but I really have no idea what's that good for.

As Hans answered this option disables the IP stack from the DVB driver. The
IP stack is part of the DVB standard. It is used, for example, by automatic
firmware updates used on STB's. It can also be used to access the Internet,
via the DVB card, if the network provider supports it.

Before 3.0, this were enabled on all cards. However, if the IP stack is
disabled, this would mean that the entire DVB would also be disabled.
So, this option were added. It may make sense to make it dependent of
CONFIG_EMBEDDED, as normal users should not need to disable it.

Feel free to send us a patch if you want to improve the Kconfig logic or
help message.

Thanks,
Mauro