Re: [ANNOUNCE] Native Linux KVM tool v2

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Jun 16 2011 - 07:41:07 EST

* Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 01:22:30PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> > Such as? I don't think apps can actually know whether disk blocks
> > have been 'instantiated' by a particular filesystem or not, so
> > the manpage:
>
> In general they can't. The only good use case for sync_file_range
> is to paper over^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hcontrol write back behaviour.

Well, if overwrite is fundamentally safe on a filesystem (which is
most of them) then sync_file_range() would work - and it has the big
advantage that it's a pretty simple facility.

Filesystems that cannot guarantee that should map their
sync_file_range() implementation to fdatasync() or so, right?

Thanks,

Ingo