Re: scheduler / perf stat question about CPU-migrations

From: Frederic Weisbecker
Date: Thu Jun 16 2011 - 11:03:59 EST

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:46:26AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> Can someone tell me how I'm being confused?
>
> I ran the following command as root:
>
> perf stat schedtool -a 1 -e e2fsck -ft /dev/funarg/kbuild

A theory is that schedtool does:

if (!fork()) {
set affinity there
launch e2fsck
}

So schedtool as a parent doesn't change it's own affinity, which makes sense
as you only want to set it for the child.

By the time it is launched, do mmap, faults, etc... and after the wait()
finishes and it exits(). It has got many opportunities to migrate.