Re: [patch 00/15] CFS Bandwidth Control V6

From: Hu Tao
Date: Fri Jun 17 2011 - 02:06:55 EST

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:22:51AM +0900, Hidetoshi Seto wrote:
> (2011/06/16 18:45), Hu Tao wrote:

> >> (Though I don't know what the 16th patch of this series is, anyway)
>
> I see. It will be replaced by Paul's update.
>
> > the 16th patch is this: https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/23/503
> >
> >> I see that the results of 15, 15-1 and 15-2 are very different and that
> >> 15-2 is similar to without-patch.
> >>
> >> One concern is whether this unstable of data is really caused by the
> >> nature of your test (hardware, massive-intr itself and something running
> >> in background etc.) or by a hidden piece in the bandwidth patch set.
> >> Did you see "not stable" data when none of patches is applied?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > But for a five-runs the result seems 'stable'(before patches and after
> > patches). I've also run the tests in single mode. results are attached.
>
> (It will be appreciated greatly if you could provide not only raw results
> but also your current observation/speculation.)

Sorry I didn't make me clear.

> Well, (to wrap it up,) do you still see the following problem?

Even when before applying the patches, the numbers differ much between
several runs of massive_intr, this is the reason I say the data is not
stable. But treating the results of five runs as a whole, it shows some
stability. The results after the patches are similar, and the average
loops differ little comparing to the results before the patches(compare
0-1.png and 16-1.png in my last mail). so I would say the patches don't
bring too much impact on interactive processes.

> I think that 5 samples are not enough to draw a conclusion, and that at the
> moment it is inconsiderable. How do you think?

At least 5 samples reveal something, but if you'd like I can take more
samples.

> Even though pointed problems are gone, I have to say thank you for taking
> your time to test this CFS bandwidth patch set.
> I'd appreciate it if you could continue your test, possibly against V7.
> (I'm waiting, Paul?)
>

> Thanks,
> H.Seto

Thanks,