Re: reorganized struct inode results in unaligned accesses

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sun Jun 19 2011 - 18:37:04 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Dang. I guess it needs to be made "unsigned long" again. Which is a
> shame, because we only use a couple of bits from there, and "struct
> inode" really is much too big already.

In the past it was usually enough to just align it to alignof(unsigned
long), not actually make it long. struct page went through this
a long time ago.

This could cause r-m-w races with the next field in theory, but assuming
it's reasonably read-only (ie only set up at inode creation time)
that should be fine.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only