Re: [RFC 2/5 v4] procfs: add hidepid= and gid= mount options

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Mon Jun 20 2011 - 15:41:48 EST

Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> (cc'ed Eric)

>> > Policykit, Debian's start-stop-daemon, util-linux use /proc/PID's uid.
>> > procps use both /proc/PID's uid and gid. Are all of them totally broken?
>>
>> If they depend on specific permissions, yes.
>
> Could you please then clarify why does this patch changes
> pid_revalidate() behaviour:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=99f895518368252ba862cc15ce4eb98ebbe1bec6
>
> It changes files permissions to allow userspace apps to quickly stat
> files, not looking into /proc/PID/status. So, uid and gid are explicit
> ABI. Breaking procfs uid/gid attributes would break these apps.
>
> Or am I missing something?

No, you are not missing something. The uid and gid of proc files are
part of the userspace ABI. The files are owned by the uid and gid
of the respective process. The commit in question did not change
the ABI it documented it because I found out the hardware way that
a small change there breaks userspace.

Eric