2.6.39.x: utsrelease.h contains "CHK include/generated/utsrelease"

From: Michael Brade
Date: Sun Jun 26 2011 - 16:43:36 EST

Hi,

I repeatedly get garbled output in utsrelease.h when compiling my own kernel.
To reproduce:

make mrproper
make allnoconfig
make prepare

Output of "cat include/generated/utsrelease.h":
CHK include/generated/utsrelease

I am using linux-2.6.39.2 (stable git branch) with grsec-2.2.2 patch but it
also happens on 2.6.32.41 with xen and 2.6.39. I have searched with Google a
lot but I have never found an answer and only very few people seem to ever
post this problem.

What is driving me nuts is that it works *sometimes* and I don't even know
when. I am using Debian unstable (amd64), and I have had the problem for a few
months now, at least since April.

Any ideas what's going on? Do you need any more info? Or do you have some
hints about how to debug this?

Please CC me.

thanks a lot,
Michael