Re: Erroneous package power limit notification since kernel 2.6.39

From: Olaf Freyer
Date: Tue Jun 28 2011 - 18:02:09 EST

Am 28.06.2011 23:18, schrieb Jesse Barnes:

>>> Without this reverted you see messages? I missed the earlier stuff,
>>> what message are you seeing?
>>>
>> Since 2.6.39 I saw those as soon as I start up the xserver:
>>
>> May 22 14:41:34 localhost kernel: [ 57.525848] CPU0: Package power
>> limit notification (total events = 1)
>> May 22 14:41:34 localhost kernel: [ 57.536904] CPU0: Package power
>> limit normal
> Ok interesting, didn't realize X startup was so GPU intensive. :)
>
> The patch you reverted will definitely cause the GPU to ramp up its
> frequency much faster than before, but it sounds like on your system
> you might also see it with the revert if you run something GPU
> intensive like nexuiz.
>
> The CPU (and by extension the GPU) will take care of itself though; if
> things get too hot or over power, it will clock throttle to keep itself
> in a safe range.
I also see the message alot during my daily average usage of my computer
(just using Firefox, Thunderbird and IntelliJ) - seeing things like
CPU3: Package power limit notification (total events = 90809)
after a normal day in the office became normal since 2.6.39.

I just gave nexuiz a try for about 30 minutes with the reversal patch
applied -
and not a single message appeared in my logs.