Re: [RFC] ipc: introduce shm_rmid_forced sysctl

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Jul 01 2011 - 08:05:13 EST

* Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 13:25 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > Furthermore, if testing shows that this is not actually breaking
> > anything in a serious way we could also in theory simplify the patch
> > and just make this the default behavior with no runtime ability to
> > switch it off.
>
> I'm afraid it's impossible. From -ow readme:
>
> "Of course, this breaks the way things are defined, so some
> applications might stop working. In particular, expect most
> commercial databases to break. Apache and PostgreSQL are known to
> work, though. :-)"
>
> http://www.openwall.com/linux/README.shtml
>
> But as it was written in days of Linux 2.4.x, the situation could
> have changed. A desktop system seems to work.

As we really prefer working systems over non-working ones (and lots
of unattached shm segments can clearly result in a non-working
system) we can only accept the "this will break stuff" argument if
it's *demonstrated* to break stuff and if the failure scenario is
carefully described in the commit.

It would take a serious breakage to override a "system locks up
swapping itself to death" failure scenario.

Thanks,

Ingo