Re: [RFC] ipc: introduce shm_rmid_forced sysctl

From: Solar Designer
Date: Sat Jul 02 2011 - 12:50:53 EST

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 03:35:33PM +0400, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
> From -ow readme:
>
> "Of course, this breaks the way things are defined, so some applications
> might stop working. In particular, expect most commercial databases to
> break. Apache and PostgreSQL are known to work, though. :-)"
>
> http://www.openwall.com/linux/README.shtml
>
> But as it was written in days of Linux 2.4.x, the situation could have
> changed. A desktop system seems to work.

I wrote the above in 2.0.x days (circa 1998) and it was based on FUD
rather than on any real evidence of any breakage. Apache and PostgreSQL
were a couple of known users of shared memory segments, and these did
not break. I was not aware of any programs that presumably did break.
Of course, those probably do exist, but I don't recall anyone ever
reporting any to me (as maintainer of -ow patches), although the warning
quoted above might have played a role in such non-reporting.

Alexander