Re: perf error codes

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Tue Jul 12 2011 - 10:04:51 EST

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> Linus recently expressed dislike of our -ENOSPC usage for indicating the
> pmu is 'full'. Do either of your projects (libpfm, libpapi resp.) rely
> on this particular error code for this condition?

PAPI doesn't have any code that relies on ENOSPC.

I have to agree with Linus, when I was working on some validation tests
and had the buffer size wrong it was very confusing when strerror() told
me the problem was "No space left of device" when none of my disks were
full. It took me a while (and some grepping of the kernel source) to
figure out what was going on.

Vince