Re: how to find a task through name faster?

From: loody
Date: Wed Jul 13 2011 - 03:55:17 EST

hi:

2011/7/12 Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On 07/11/2011 06:52 PM, loody wrote:
>> hi all:
>> I found a way to find a task I need by name, test,  as below:
>> for_each_process(task) {
>>     if(strcmp(task->comm, "test")
>>         printk(“%s[%d]\n”, task->comm, task->pid);
>> }
>>
>> But it is time-consuming to do so if I periodically want to know
>> whether "test" exist or not.
>> is there better way to do so?
>
> It depends on what you are trying to achieve. Maybe process accounting
> is what you want?
Would you mind to explain what is "process accounting"?
I ask this question cause I need to do something in my kernel driver
when a thread starting running.

is there any rule to assign a pid before starting a thread?
if there is a rule or range, such 100 ~200 for A type, 200~300 for B
type, I can focus on specific type of thread in that range instead of
searching everyone.

--
Regards,