Re: ARM cortex A9 feature

From: naveen yadav
Date: Fri Jul 15 2011 - 01:15:58 EST

Hi dave,

Thanks for answering, but I think question 2, answer is still not clear to me .

my question is why exclusive L2.

8.1.4 Exclusive L2 cache
The Cortex-A9 processor can be connected to an L2 cache that supports
an exclusive cache
mode. This mode must be activated both in the Cortex-A9 processor and
in the L2 cache
controller.
In this mode, the data cache of the Cortex-A9 processor and the L2
cache are exclusive. At any
time, a given address is cached in either L1 data caches or in the L2
cache, but not in both. This
has the effect of greatly increasing the usable space and efficiency
of an L2 cache connected to
the Cortex-A9 processor. When exclusive cache configuration is selected:
• Data cache line replacement policy is modified so that the victim
line always gets evicted
to L2 memory, even if it is clean.
• If a line is dirty in the L2 cache controller, a read request to this address

what is usecase for this . This is my question .

Thanks