Re: Mis-Design of Btrfs?

From: Christian Aßfalg
Date: Fri Jul 15 2011 - 11:16:31 EST

Am Freitag, den 15.07.2011, 10:24 -0400 schrieb Chris Mason:
> Excerpts from Hugo Mills's message of 2011-07-15 10:07:24 -0400:
> > On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 10:00:35AM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
> > > Excerpts from Ric Wheeler's message of 2011-07-15 09:31:37 -0400:

> > > It really seemed like a good idea, but I just realized it doesn't work
> > > well when parts of the stack transform the data.
> > >
> > > Picture dm-crypt on top of raid1. If raid1 is responsible for the
> > > crc retries, there's no way to crc the data because it needs to be
> > > decrypted first.
> > >
> > > I think the raided dm-crypt config is much more common (and interesting)
> > > than multiple layers that can retry for other reasons (raid1 on top of
> > > raid10?)
> >
> > Isn't this a case where the transformative mid-layer would replace
> > the validation function before passing it down the stack? So btrfs
> > hands dm-crypt a checksum function; dm-crypt then stores that function
> > for its own purposes and hands off a new function to the DM layer
> > below that which decrypts the data and calls the btrfs checksum
> > function it stored earlier.
>
> Then we're requiring each transformation layer to have their own crcs,
> and if the higher layers have a stronger crc (or other checks), there's
> no path to ask the lower layers for other copies.
>
> Here's a concrete example. In each metadata block, btrfs stores the
> fsid and the transid of the transaction that created it. In the case of
> a missed write, we'll read a perfect block from the lower layers. Any
> crcs will be correct and it'll pass through dm-crypt with flying colors.
>
> But, it won't be the right block. Btrfs will notice this and EIO. In
> the current ask-for-another-mirror config we'll go down and grab the
> other copy.
>
> In the stacked validation function model, dm-crypt replaces our
> verification functions with something that operates on the encrypted
> data, and it won't be able to detect the error or kick down to the
> underlying raid1 for another copy.
>
> -chris
> --

I think the point is not to replace the crc function in the dm_crypt
case, but to wrap it with an decrypt function which then calls the crc
function. So even if a lower mirror uses the new dm-crypt crc function,
the btrfs crc function still gets called - at the end of the chain.

Regards,
Christian AÃfalg