Re: kdevtmpfs oops since yesterdays vfs merge

From: Al Viro
Date: Sun Jul 24 2011 - 19:52:29 EST

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 07:40:29PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 12:28:12AM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 07:17:01PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> > > I see an oops in handle_create when I try to boot current tree..
> > >
> > > full trace:
> > > https://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/355006460.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1311550232&Signature=IIO%2Bya1uEDJzSXTD0DXh2%2BdZpoU%3D
> >
> > Where in handle_create() is that? At least dump objdump -d of your
> > devtmpfs.o someplace readable...
>
> http://codemonkey.org.uk/devtmpfs.s

Smells like req->dev somehow managing to be NULL at that point, but that
doesn't make any sense - we get to devtmpfs_create_node() only from one
place, it sets req.dev to the argument it got from callers and that caller
would have oopsed itself before getting to that call with dev == NULL...

Could you stick a BUG_ON(!dev) in the beginning of handle_create() to see
if that's what somehow manages to happen?