Re: [GIT PULL] Native Linux KVM tool for 3.1

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Jul 25 2011 - 03:37:42 EST

On 07/25/2011 10:27 AM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
Hi Anthony,

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 4:19 AM, Anthony Liguori<anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> lguest already does this and lives in the kernel.

Does Lguest have SMP, usermode networking, and GUI support?

IIRC, yes, no, and no.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 4:19 AM, Anthony Liguori<anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So purely from a kernel perspective, why have two tools in the tree that do
> the same thing? Shouldn't you at least unify the userspace with the lguest
> userspace?

Are you talking about Documentation/lguest/lguest.c? How would you
suggest we unify our code with that?

It should be easy to have tools/kvm drive lguest - they're both virtio based. All you need to do is provide yet another ops structure to drive the two ABIs.

I guess lguest.c has to remain, as point of lguest was a simple teaching aid for virtualization (which doesn't work very well, as the techniques it uses are obsolete).