Re: [GIT PULL] Native Linux KVM tool for 3.1

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Jul 25 2011 - 06:17:03 EST

* Alexander Graf <agraf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In fact one of the problems i see with Qemu is that Qemu had to
> > make many compromises to support Windows and other weird
> > platforms that i'm (and i'd claim most other Linux kernel
> > developers) are personally not interested in.
>
> It's what makes it so powerful. [...]

To me and Pekka that is what made Qemu unhackable.

Really, i'm not sure why you are arguing here. We are not trying to
merge tools/qemu/ upstream. We are trying to merge a Linux-only
utility that lives in the kernel tree today and which we are actively
using and developing.

> [...] Adding a new architecture for KVM for example is as easy as
> only implementing the CPU. All device emulation is already there.
> If you want something Linux only, lguest would've been enough, no?

That's a rather bizarre argument, we were pretty happy with the
design of the KVM host side, what we wanted to improve was user-space
tooling.

With lguest we'd have to write a new host implementation in essence

> > [...]
> >
> > tools/kvm/ does less and in my experience does it better - is
> > that such a surprising thing?
>
> [...]
>
> > So it was a no brainer for me to pull it into -tip.
>
> The thing I don't agree with is that it should live in the kernel
> tree.

FYI, tools/kvm/ *already* lives in the kernel tree - that is how it's
developed and used and it also shares code with the kernel.

Thanks,

Ingo