Re: Oops when insmod rtl8192ce

From: Larry Finger
Date: Wed Jul 27 2011 - 10:37:25 EST

On 07/27/2011 04:26 AM, hubert Liao wrote:
Hi,
We got an oops when insmod rtl8192ce module (the board is an ARM soc),
accroding the oops message, find it's because in rtl_pci_probe()
called _rtl_pci_find_adapter(),
in this funcation, the pdev->bus->self is a NULL pointer .
static boot _rtl_pci_find_adapter(strcut pci_dev *dev,
struct ieee80211_hw *hw)
{
struct pci_dev *bridge_pdev = pdev->bus->self; //line 1601
pcipriv->ndis_adapter.pcibridge_vendorid = bridge_pdev->vendor;<--
[oops here] line 1700
}
here, I just want to know why the bus->self is NULL?
----
[ 148.186632] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
virtual address 00000020

As John Linville suggested, please open a bugzilla report.

I would also like some additional information. What kernel are you using? In addition, please post the 'lspci -nnk' information for your card.

I also think that pdev->bus should have been setup before the initialization code in rtl8192ce was called. I have not tested the driver on other than x86 and x86_64 architectures because of hardware availability, thus ARM may expose some problems. Is this soc little-endian?

Thanks,
Larry