Re: next-200110804 ARM build break (cpuidle_call_idle)

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Aug 05 2011 - 04:22:35 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...] In fact, I'm seriously considering a rather draconian measure
> for next merge window: I'll fetch the -next tree when I open the
> merge window, and if I get anything but trivial fixes that don't
> show up in that "next tree at the point of merge window open", I'll
> just ignore that pull request. Because clearly people are just not
> being careful enough.

That would be really nice - in hindsight, had you done that in this
cycle it would have solved about 80% of the merge window bugs i ran
into!

I have trouble getting my own fixes out on time because -git is so
untestable at the moment and i need to test on -git now that our new
bits are upstream.

[ In fact i'd even argue that the snapshot should be a couple of
days _before_ the merge window opening. The trivial annoyances and
serious showstoppers need a couple of days of latency to get
discovered in linux-next and there's always a late rush of getting
stuff into linux-next just before the final release. linux-next
also has weekend latency which can add up to 3 days to the
normally 2-3 days latency of discovering showstoppers. ]

People can still try to tempt you with late stuff, with an [RFC GIT
PULL] tag, clearly and visibly declaring that it's a workflow
exception and that it's fully discretional on your side with no
maintenance problems if it's skipped to the next merge window.

Thanks,

Ingo