Re: [patch 1/2] fuse: delete dead .write_begin and .write_end aops

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Wed Aug 10 2011 - 07:24:42 EST

Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 05:05:20PM +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
>> > The loop code still calls them uncondtionally. This actually is a big
>> > as write_begin and write_end require filesystems specific locking,
>> > and might require code in the filesystem to e.g. update the ctime
>> > properly. I'll let Miklos chime in if leaving them in was intentional,
>> > and if it was a comment is probably justified.
>>
>> Loop checks for ->write_begin() and falls back to ->write if the former
>> isn't defined.
>>
>> So I think the patch is fine. I tested loop over fuse, and it still
>> works after the patch.
>
> It works, but it involves another data copy, which will slow down
> various workloads that people at least historically cared about.

AFAICS, normally there isn't an additional copy. If ->write_begin is
defined the copy from the bio_vec to the filesystem page is done with
transfer_none() in the loop driver.

Otherwise the copy is done by ->write() itself on the kmapped bio.

If there's a crypto transfer function then a temporary page will be used
in the no write_begin case. But I don't think there the additional copy
makes much difference or that anyone cares.

Thanks,
Miklos