Re: [lxc-devel] [RFC] catching sys_reboot syscall

From: Daniel Lezcano
Date: Thu Aug 11 2011 - 14:10:25 EST

On 08/11/2011 07:04 PM, Bruno PrÃmont wrote:
> On Thu, 11 August 2011 Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> So execution flow continues reaching the whole "host reboot code"?
>>>
>>> That's not so good as it then prevents using CAP_SYS_BOOT inside PID namespace
>>> to limit access to rebooting the container from inside as giving a process
>>> inside container CAP_SYS_BOOT would cause host to reboot (and when not given
>>> process inside container would get -EPERM in all cases).
>>>
>>> Wouldn't the following be better?:
>>> +
>>> + /* We only trust the superuser with rebooting the system. */
>>> + if (!capable(CAP_SYS_BOOT))
>>> + return -EPERM;
>>> +
>>> + /* If we are not in the initial pid namespace, we send a signal
>>> + * to the parent of this init pid namespace, notifying a shutdown
>>> + * occured */
>>> + if (pid_ns != &init_pid_ns) {
>>> + pid_namespace_reboot(pid_ns, cmd, buffer);
>>> + return 0;
>>> + }
>>> +
>>> mutex_lock(&reboot_mutex);
>>> switch (cmd) {
>>>

>>> If I misunderstood, please correct me.
>>
>> Yep, this is what I did at the beginning but I realized I was closing
>> the door for future applications using the pid namespaces. The pid
>> namespace could be used by another kind of application, not a container,
>> running some administrative tasks so they may want to shutdown the host
>> from a different pid namespace.
>>
>> For this reason, to prevent this execution flow, the container has to
>> drop the CAP_SYS_BOOT in addition of taking care of the SIGCHLD signal
>> with CLDREBOOT.
>
> Ok, though for later source code readers to know adding/extending comment
> would be nice.
> Maybe something like
>
> + /* If we are not in the initial pid namespace, we send a signal
> + * to the parent of this init pid namespace, notifying a shutdown
> + * occured
> + * NOTE: if process has CAP_SYS_BOOT it will additionally have the
> + * same effect as if it was not namespaced */
>

> How would all of this integrate with the ongoing work on user namespaces?
> Maybe that one should later be the differentiator for who may or may not
> trigger the host reboot.

I think if you are in a different user namespace than the init one, the
process won't be able to reboot.
I talked with Serge about that and he should execute the
pid_namespace_reboot if it is 'ns_capable' of rebooting the host.

But I think that does not collide after all.

> In addition sending the signal to parent process seems moot as chances are
> that parent process will never have the opportunity to see the signal when
> the host is being rebooted.

Right.

> Then a construct like the following would give a better hint to the reader:
> +
> + /* We only trust the superuser with rebooting the system. */
> + if (!capable(CAP_SYS_BOOT)) {
> + /* If we are not in the initial pid namespace, we send a signal
> + * to the parent of this init pid namespace, notifying a shutdown
> + * occured */
> + if (pid_ns != &init_pid_ns)
> + pid_namespace_reboot(pid_ns, cmd, buffer);
> +
> + return -EPERM;
> + }

Ok, let me respin the patchset and change that. I will submit the patch
to akpm and lkml. Let's see what they think about this approach.

Thanks
-- Daniel