Re: Future of the -longterm kernel releases (i.e. how we pick them).

From: Teck Choon Giam
Date: Mon Aug 15 2011 - 03:16:18 EST

2011/8/15 <david@xxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, J?rg-Volker Peetz wrote:
>
>> Greg KH wrote, on 08/15/11 06:15:
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> - a new -longterm kernel is picked every year.
>>> - a -longterm kernel is maintained for 2 years and then dropped.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Just a little nitpick: with this scheme you will accumulate longterm
>> kernels. If
>> I understand it right, one longterm kernel is added every year.
>
> but with one new kernel being added each year, and then being dropped two
> years later, there are only 2 long term kernels at any one time (that Greg
> will be maintaining at least, nothing stops other people from maintaining
> other long term kernels in addition)

Err... sorry from my understanding like this year... one new long term
kernel added so it is N+1 then next year is N+1+1 and two years drop
one so it is N+1+1-1... so every year there will be one new long term
added and every two years there will be one overall long term kernel
added to total number of long term kernels... since two are added
within 2 years and one dropped every 2 years. So there are not only 2
long term kernels at any one time in this case... ... someone correct
me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon