Re: [RFC] Moving magnetometer HMC6352 into IIO subsystem

From: Jonathan Cameron
Date: Tue Aug 16 2011 - 04:48:59 EST

On 08/16/11 00:22, Jonathan Kunkee wrote:
>>> Should the HMC6352 digital compass driver be moved [...]?
>>
>> No - that would be a regression .. but read on
>
>>> [...] they should almost always land in IIO land.
>>
>> IIO is a staging project that may never go anywhere - some of us are
>> using magnetometers in product so this alone isn't an answer that works
>> right now.
>
> In my reading I failed to catch the how transient 'staging' is--I'll
> keep it mind, as I'm hoping my driver will not be so transient.
>
>>> I would be willing to work on the change as I want to submit a similar
>>> driver for the HMC6343 magnetometer/accelerometer as well.
>>
>> It would be great if it got added into the IIO subystem *as well*, and in
>> time when and if IIO goes out of staging it would then eventually replace
>> the existing drivers.
>
> This would then necessitate maintaining both chunks of code, so I think
> for now I will develop my module in drivers/misc. After it has stabilized,
> I can add both modules to IIO as well with this in mind.

Certainly a valid option right now. Moving things over tends to be
straight forward anyway.

IIO is hoping to make first steps out of staging shortly, but it will be a
good while before anywhere near everything moves out into the main tree
(lots of code and some of it is probably going to be controversial!)

Jonathan