Re: Future of the -longterm kernel releases (i.e. how we pick them).

From: James Courtier-Dutton
Date: Wed Aug 17 2011 - 07:11:13 EST

On 15 August 2011 08:16, Teck Choon Giam <giamteckchoon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2011/8/15 Â<david@xxxxxxx>:
>> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, J?rg-Volker Peetz wrote:
>>
>>> Greg KH wrote, on 08/15/11 06:15:
>>> <snip>

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Just a little nitpick: with this scheme you will accumulate longterm
>>> kernels. If
>>> I understand it right, one longterm kernel is added every year.
>>
>> but with one new kernel being added each year, and then being dropped two
>> years later, there are only 2 long term kernels at any one time (that Greg
>> will be maintaining at least, nothing stops other people from maintaining
>> other long term kernels in addition)
>
> Err... sorry from my understanding like this year... one new long term
> kernel added so it is N+1 then next year is N+1+1 and two years drop
> one so it is N+1+1-1... so every year there will be one new long term
> added and every two years there will be one overall long term kernel
> added to total number of long term kernels... since two are added
> within 2 years and one dropped every 2 years. ÂSo there are not only 2
> long term kernels at any one time in this case... ... someone correct
> me if I am wrong.

I think your maths might be wrong.

Year 1, long term kernel 1 starts (total concurrent long term = 1)
Year 2, long term kernel 2 starts (total concurrent long term = 2)
Year 3, long term kernel 3 starts, long term kernel 1 stops. (total
concurrent long term = 2)
Year 4, long term kernel 4 starts, long term kernel 2 stops. (total
concurrent long term = 2)
Year 5, long term kernel 5 starts, long term kernel 3 stops. (total
concurrent long term = 2)