Re: Kernel 3.0: Instant kernel crash when mounting CIFS (also crasheswith linux-3.1-rc2

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Thu Aug 18 2011 - 06:35:31 EST

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011, J. R. Okajima wrote:

Justin Piszcz:
Does anyone know if any kernel supports CIFS w/out crashing? I'd like to
backup some CIFS shares, thanks.

mount -t cifs //w2/x /mnt -o user=user,pass=pass

[ 881.388836] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22
:::

Since it failed mounting, this patch will help you. Although the patch
will fix one bug, there still may exist another problem.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-cifs&m=131345112022031&w=2

Hi,

Latest patch (this one) applied to linux-3.1-rc2 works, at least it mounted
this time and did not instantly crash the kernel!

I also tried the hostname again (and it did not crash the kernel, but it failed to mount).

Used the IP and it mounted successfully:
//10.0.0.11/x 28T 5.0T 23T 19% /mnt
//10.0.0.11/y 19T 1.2T 18T 7% /mnt2

It has not crashed yet (which is good), I'll apply this patch to my
production machine and test taking backups of this data and let you know
if it crashes again, thanks!

Justin.