Study on the configuration of the Linux kernel

From: ahu
Date: Fri Aug 19 2011 - 15:36:38 EST

Dear kernel developers and users,

we are a team of researchers from the GSD Lab of the University of Waterloo
(ON, Canada). We do research on configuration methods and algorithms and are
conducting a study on the problems faced by users during the configuration of
the Linux kernel. We are studying the Linux kernel because it is probably the
configurable system with the largest community of users and developers. Hopefully, this study will show if the kernel configuration environment still has weaknesses and, more generally, help us understand the challenges faced by users of large configuration systems.

We would greatly appreciate it if you could answer the following questionnaire on your experience with the configuration of the Linux kernel: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHJrQ1B6OXVCRTRmbGJ2ZlFQTmdpQVE6MA
It should not take you more than 15 minutes to complete.

To be able to draw meaningful conclusions, we need as many answers as
possible. Please, forward this questionnaire to anybody with experience in the
configuration of the Linux kernel. The results of our analyses will be made
publicly available as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for your contribution.

Arnaud Hubaux, University of Namur/University of Waterloo
Yingfei Xiong, University of Waterloo