Re: Is arch/x86_64 kernel relocatable by default from redhatenterprise 5 originated kernel?

From: AmÃrico Wang
Date: Mon Aug 22 2011 - 10:35:20 EST

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Vincent Li <vincent.mc.li@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,

> so it looks Âthe 64bit kernel is not relocatable according to above
> error, then I went to the distro's kernel source directory and
> couldn't find "RELOCATABLE" config in arch/x86_64/Kconfig, there is
> "RELOCATABLE" config in arch/i386/Kconfig. so I am bit
> confused if arch/x86_64 kernel is relocatable by default or
> relocatable is not supported yet for the redhat 5 originated x86_64
> kernel.

I think x86_64 is relocatable by default, as on RHEL5 x86_64 we
only have one vmlinuz for both production kernel and kdump kernel.

I don't know the history, probably x86_64 supports relocatable from
the beginning, thus there is no such Kconfig on RHEL5.

> I also suspect that kexec-tools-1.102pre-126.el5.i386.rpm might be the
> culprit here since it is for i386, but I couldn't install
> kexec-tools-1.102pre-126.el5.x86_64.rpm Âlack of 64 bit libc.so.6 on
> the custom distro

So, probably this is the cause of the problem.

Thanks.