Re: [uml-devel] SYSCALL, ptrace and syscall restart breakages (Re:[RFC] weird crap with vdso on uml/i386)

From: Al Viro
Date: Mon Aug 22 2011 - 20:03:55 EST

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 04:27:51PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> So I think the "let's fix the vdso case for sysenter" + "let's remove
> the 32-bit syscall vdso" is the right solution. If somebody has
> hardcoded syscall instructions, or generates them dynamically with
> some JIT, that's their problem. We'll continue to support it as well
> as we ever have (read: "almost nobody will ever notice").

Umm... Maybe, but I really wonder if it would be better to do this:
* check if %ecx is the right one for vdso32 entry. If it isn't,
act as we act now (and possibly warn). If it is, increment it by 4.
* slap 0x90, 0x90, 0xcd, 0x80 right after that syscall insn -
i.e. nop/nop/int 0x80. Followed by what we currently do there.

Those who do syscall insn in 32bit mode outside of vdso will get
what they currently get. __kernel_vsyscall() will keep working and do
that without restart problems. And the price is comparison + branch not
taken + addition for that path...