Re: [uml-devel] SYSCALL, ptrace and syscall restart breakages (Re:[RFC] weird crap with vdso on uml/i386)

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Tue Aug 23 2011 - 10:26:29 EST

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 02:15:31AM -0400, Al Viro wrote:
> Almost, but not quite. What happens is:
> * process hits syscall insn
> * it's stopped and tracer (guest kernel) does GETREGS
> + looks at the registers (mapped to the normal layout)
> + decides to call sys_brk()
> + notices pages to kick out
> + queues munmap request for stub
> * tracer does SETREGS, pointing the child's eip to stub and sp to stub stack
> * tracer does CONT, letting the child run
> * child finishes with syscall insn, carefully preserving ebp. It returns to
> userland, in the beginning of the stub.
> * child does munmap() and hits int 3 in the end of stub.
> * the damn thing is stopped again. The tracer had been waiting for it.
> * tracer finishes with sys_brk() and returns success.
> * it does SETREGS, setting eax to return value, eip to original return
> address of syscall insn... and ebp to what it had in regs.bp. I.e. the
> damn arg6 value.

Ok, stupid question: can a convoluted ptracing case like this be created
in "normal" userspace, i.e. irrespective of UML and only by using gdb,
for example?

I.e., from what I understand from above, you need to stop the tracee at
syscall and "redirect" it to the stub after it finishes the syscall so
that in another syscall it gets a debug exception... sounds complicated.

> And we are fucked. It doesn't happen in syscall handler. It's int3().
> Having no idea that this request to set ebp should be interpreted in
> a really different way - "put the value I asked to put into ecx here,
> please, and ignore this one".
>
> Sigh... The really ugly part is that ebp can be changed by the stuff
> done in stub - it's not just munmap, it can do mmap as well. We can,
> in principle, save ebp on its stack and restore it before trapping.
> Then uml kernel could, in theory, replace that SETREGS with a bunch of
> POKEUSER, leaving ebp alone. Ho-hum... In principle, that might even
> be not too horrible - we need eax/eip/esp, of course, but the rest
> could be dealt with by the same trick - have it pushed/popped in the
> stub and to hell with wasting syscalls on setting them...

which could mean that we could get away by not replacing SYSCALL32?

Hmm.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
Einsteinring 24, 85609 Dornach
GM: Alberto Bozzo
Reg: Dornach, Landkreis Muenchen
HRB Nr. 43632 WEEE Registernr: 129 19551