Re: linux-next: manual merge of the moduleh tree with the arm tree

From: Paul Gortmaker
Date: Thu Aug 25 2011 - 18:41:13 EST

On 11-08-25 12:39 PM, Russell King wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 12:33:51PM -0400, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
>> On 11-08-25 01:17 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>>> Hi Paul,
>>>
>>> Today's linux-next merge of the moduleh tree got a conflict in
>>> arch/arm/mach-bcmring/mm.c between commit 2d5e975b2194 ("ARM:
>>> mach-bcmring: Setup consistent dma size at boot time") from the arm tree
>>> and commit 9bc7d81e271e ("arm: fix implicit use of page.h in
>>> mach-bcmring/mach-jornada") from the moduleh tree.
>>
>> I can't really relocate the page.h inclusion in a trivial way to
>> make this conflict go away. But since the implicit header use fixes
>> for arm are independent and don't actually depend on anything in the
>> rest of the module.h tree, I can set about to giving these to Russell
>> for his arm-next branch anytime. I'll do that shortly.
>
> For such a trivial conflict, I don't think we need to do anything. Linus
> has said publically that he likes to sort out conflicts as it allows him
> to have a wider knowledge of what's going on in the kernel tree.
>
> So, given that the fixup is soo obvious, I don't think we need to play
> games redistributing patches - we just need to be aware of the conflict
> and mention it to Linus when we merge.

OK. I was entertaining feeding some of the really obvious and simple
parts of the moduleh branch out to the various maintainers just to
reduce its overall size, but in the end I guess that just makes work
for me and them -- vs. a single pull request to Linus for addition to
v3.2-rc1. I'll just stay the course and Stephen will have to rerere
the merge conflict resolution for a while -- something I'm certain
that he has automated long long ago.

Thanks,
Paul.