RE: cleancache can lead to serious performance degradation

From: Dan Magenheimer
Date: Mon Aug 29 2011 - 11:09:35 EST

> From: Nebojsa Trpkovic [mailto:trx.lists@xxxxxxxxx]
> Subject: Re: cleancache can lead to serious performance degradation
>
> Thank you everybody for reviewing my report.

Thanks for reporting it! To paraphrase Clint Eastwood:

"A kernel developer's got to know his patchset's limitations".

(Clint said "A man's got to know his limitations" in Magnum Force, 1973.)

> I've noticed performance degradation during the real workload. I did not
> run any special benchmarks to prove this problem. All my conclusions are
> based on everyday usage case scenarios.
>
> I use multi-purpose (read: all-purpose) server with Intel Core 2 Duo
> E6550, 8GB DDR2, 4 1Gbps NICs and 16 1.5TB 5.4k rpm hard drives in LAN
> with ~50 workstations and WAN with couple of hundreds clients.

<snip>

OK, so the old CPU is mostly acting as a fancy router between 16 spindles
and 4 fast NICs to transfer very large "packets" (sequential files).
I can see how that kind of workload would not be kind to zcache,
though a more modern multi-core (4-core i7?) might handle it better.
And, as suggested earlier in this thread, a faster-but-less-space-efficient
compression algorithm would be useful too, along with some policy
that senses when

> Last but not least, thank you for developing such a great feature for
> Linux kernel!

Thanks! Many people contributed (especially Nitin Gupta). I hope other
users and workloads have better luck with it than you/yours does!

> Best Regards,
> Nebojsa Trpkovic

Thanks,
Dan