Re: comparison of the AF_ALG interface with the /dev/crypto

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
Date: Thu Sep 01 2011 - 12:19:06 EST

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos<nmav@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 17:06:06 +0200

It would be interesting to have a partial kernel-space TLS
implementation but I don't know whether such a thing could ever make
it to kernel.
Herbert and I have discussed this several times and we plan on
implementing this at some point.

The problem is that TLS is not a universal thing. There is still SSH,
kerberos, openvpn (as far as I remember it is a custom protocol), etc. It makes sense to have something to apply broadly, especially when it is in the Linux kernel. Currently have a device such as /dev/crypto looks like a good compromise.

regards,
Nikos