Re: General question about TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE and schedule_timeout()

From: kautuk.c @samsung.com
Date: Fri Sep 02 2011 - 03:31:53 EST

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Shan Hai <haishan.bai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/02/2011 02:18 PM, Shan Hai wrote:

>>> Yes.

>> Actually, sleeping forever in the TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE state is not correct,
>> because even though the task is preempted by higher priority one
>> it will finally get a chance to run, but you will get time out value
>> of <some value> + preemption latency.

>>> No.
>>>
>>> schedule() will not put an preempted task to sleep, see:
>>
>> This might be problematic, because on the IRQ to preemption check path
>> the PREEMPT_ACTIVE was already set and the following 'if' statement
>> could not hold because of
>> !(preempt_count() & PREEMPT_ACTIVE) == false

Yes.

>> and the pick_next_task() might put the preempted task to sleep.

pick_next_task() will simply select the next task for scheduling.
After all running tasks have been scheduled then this preempted task
will also be rescheduled
as it is still on this runqueue.

I do not think that this will put this preempted it to sleep.
Reason: Although the state is still set to TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE, the
task is not removed
from the runqueue as !(preempt_count() & PREEMPT_ACTIVE) == false.

> I mean when the state of task is TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE the preempted task will
> be put to sleep, its true in sifram's case.

I disagree.Yong is still right in this scenario as the task will
remain on the runqueue due to
the !(preempt_count() & PREEMPT_ACTIVE) == false.

> Yong is right on stating "schedule() will not put an preempted task to
> sleep",
> its true for the task state of which is TASK_RUNNING.

Since TASK_RUNNING is defined as 0, the task remains on the runqueue here also.