Re: 'flags' in rsparser.c change from 'register disabled resources'patch

From: Witold Szczeponik
Date: Tue Sep 06 2011 - 14:58:55 EST

Hi David,

your observation is correct. In fact, the patch can be simplified by not setting the IORESOURCE_DISABLED flag at all, which is functionally equivalent to the current state where the compiler removes this value because it cannot be assigned to a char. A quick compare of the generated code of the current version (with IORESOURCE_DISABLED included) and with IORESOURCE_DISABLED not used at all yields pretty much the same code.

I realized the problem only days after I submitted my patch. Apparently, a follow-up patch which takes care of the IORESOURCE_DISABLED flags did not make it into the mainline kernel. I'll resend it as a response to this post shortly. In addition, in https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/7/31/50 I submitted a much simpler version of the patch which better exposes the change it introduces but requires 29df8d8f8702f0f53c1375015f09f04bc8d023c1 to be reverted.

--- Witold