Re: Linux as Bootloader

From: James Courtier-Dutton
Date: Mon Sep 12 2011 - 02:20:29 EST

On 5 September 2011 09:24, Christian Gmeiner
<christian.gmeiner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using the linux kernel in combination with busybox and a separate
> bootloader app to
> startup a x86 based embedded device. As the used BIOS does only do
> basic hw init, we
> used Linux as a bootloader. Our custom BIOS starts the bootloader
> kernel located in BIOS
> flash. If the kernel and userland is ready our boot application
> searches for the productive kernel
> and executes it via kexec.
>
> Now I run in some troubles as I need to be able to boot a MSDOS
> application stored on
> an usb stick. I have tried grub4linux but I am not able to boot from
> the usb stick - even I
> see the grub command line.
>
> Are there some creative/working solutions for my problem?

To get DOS running, it relies on a PC BIOS. You don't have one.
Either implement a PC BIOS or run the dos app using dosbox, dosemu or kvm.
Just out of curiosity, what does the DOS app do?
There might be a reason why running it in dosbox, dosemu, or kvm might not work.